If you are overweight, a physical therapist can help you:
- Reduce pain. A designed personalized exercise program can help you safely perform activities with the least amount of pain. Just getting up and getting moving can help relieve pain!
- Improve cardiovascular fitness. develop a “heart-healthy” aerobic exercise program for you to elevate your body’s metabolism and burn more calories.
- Improve strength. you can learn exercises to address any muscle weakness you may have or to improve your overall muscle strength.
- Build strength in muscles. This can help burn calories, make daily activities easier and relieve joint pain. Gentle and low-impact forms of weight training performed with exercise bands can help avoid joint stress.
- Improve movement and restore normal movement of stiff joints. This may begin with “passive” motions that the physical therapist performs for you and progress to active exercises that you do yourself.
- Improve flexibility and posture. They can teach you how to gently stretch any tight muscles and to be aware of your posture.
- Increase activity levels. Your physical therapist will discuss your activity goals with you, design your exercise program to address your individual needs and goals and encourage/support you to become a healthier you.
I’m Steve Taylor, Physical Therapist of Southern Physical and Occupational Therapy Services
Moving You To A Pain-Free Lifestyle